Description: Looking west past fashionable promenaders towards Pierrepont Street. The tower of St James' Church can be seen beyond along with the gables of the surrounding houses. South Parade was built, along with North Parade, by John Wood Sr around 1743. It was originally intended to be a small part of a large scheme, including the river, to build a Royal Forum.
Painted by Thomas Malton the younger, watercolour. Painted by Thomas Malton the younger (1748-1804), watercolour. Famous for his architectural landscapes in London, Bath and Cambridge, he made good use of the new technology of aquatinting to widely distribute his works. This makes his images some of the most recognisable images of Georgian Bath even though he only visited once, in 1780.